RSS

The good, the funny, the weird

01 Apr

My life here is weird.  I hear heavy artillery most nights around 9 p.m.  Drones fly overhead on a regular basis, and the helicopters fly so low that they always stop conversation.  But the war zone part of this life isn’t the only “abnormal” thing about it.  Here are a few others:

Image

We eat meals on the floor, every single meal of the day.  I honestly can’t even remember the last meal that I ate at a table.  It was probably in the capitol when we were there last month.  I do like eating at tables, but our house just doesn’t really have a room to accommodate one.  We even bought a table last spring in hopes that we would just figure something out.  We haven’t.  But, locals eat on the floor all the time, so it’s not a big deal.  Also, my kitchen is outside.  Not literally stove-in-the-dirt outside, but in a building completely separate from my house.  This is also pretty common here because it gets so crazy hot that nobody wants the heat of their cooking adding more heat to their already-sweltering abode.  This has kept me from my bad habit of late night snacking.

My husband has not met a single one of my friends.  Not one.  Here, men and women are totally segregated except within their families.  In fact, men don’t even talk to each other about their wives.  Instead of saying “How’s your wife?” they say “How are your children?”  Yep, women get lumped in with the kids.  However, there is a huge double-standard here.  Because I’m a foreign woman, it’s somehow acceptable for my friends’ husbands and brothers to see and talk with me.  When Levi and I go to a family’s home for a meal, we are immediately ushered into separate rooms upon arrival.  The ladies of the family don’t dare step foot into the mens’ dining room, but one or two of the men of the family will almost always step into the ladies room to meet Laila and me.  But, I won’t complain about this.  When it’s late and we are away from home, Laila is going to have a meltdown.  The men are a great transit service for Laila to get to Daddy.

Have you ever told a chubby baby “You’re so cute I could eat you up!”  Ok… no?  Maybe that’s just me, then.  Well, I actually see my friends biting the cheeks of toddlers and babies.  Yep.  Smooch, SMOOCH, CHOMP.  Not hard or anything, just a little love bite.  I think it’s precious, actually.  They’ll also pinch their cheeks and then kiss the fingers that did the pinching.  Maybe that’s a good way to get your Xs and Os when you’ve got a virus or something.

ImageLong pants, long shirts, long sleeves, burqa, and rockin’ hot shoes.  Yes, it’s ALL about the shoes.  They may be covered head to ankle, but local ladies’ feet are almost always looking fabulous, albeit covered with red henna.  I’ve own some of the local style shoes, and they’re AWFUL.  Granted, I’m really not a fan of heels, but I will wear the comfortable kind on occasion.  Theirs are the tight, blister-giving, acrylic kind that kind of remind me of a grown-up rendition of the jelly shoes that I wore when I was a kid.

The other day when I was at my neighbors’ house, we were casually sitting around and drinking tea.  One of my friends, I’ll call her “Abbi,” said “Hey Betsy, watch this.”  She called over her 5-ish (maybe 6) year old daughter, and then pulled out her breast.  Her daughter promptly started suckling.  Don’t get me wrong, I realize there are plenty of people who nurse their kids way past toddlerhood (or much older).  I’ve been to plenty of countries where that’s the norm.  It doesn’t make it feel any less… well, awkward.  Either way, those kids are actually receiving nutrients from their mothers.  When I asked Abbi if she was still lactating (this daughter is the youngest), she said “No, but she thinks she’s a baby.”  Er, ok.  We’ll just chalk that up to a “We’re friends, so this is fine” moment.

Advertisements

6 Comments

Posted by on April 1, 2012 in Uncategorized

Tags: ,

6 responses to “The good, the funny, the weird

1. Mama Tee

April 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Love it! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

2. Beth J.

April 2, 2012 at 2:12 am

Wow, very interesting. I love it that the local men have become a shuttle service for your cranky toddler. Way to work the system!

3. ceri

April 2, 2012 at 2:34 am

I’m confused…why does your separate kitchen preclude you from keeping snack items (those that don’t need cooked, of course) in the house with you? As a snacker, I’d find a way.

Love all the glimpses into your daily life.

• betsyinblue

April 2, 2012 at 11:45 am

That’s a good question. A more accurate statement would be “It had, at one time, kept me from late night snacking.” I actually had some candy in our bedroom for a while, until a little mouse found his way in and helped himself to it. He also stuck around for a couple of weeks just to make sure there wasn’t something else he was missing out on. I was pretty gun-shy for a while and wouldn’t keep any food in the house. Recently, I started using one of those Christmas tins with the tight lid to stash away some chocolate for those times when I need it within arm’s reach. Yo

4. Joanne Colbert

April 2, 2012 at 3:22 am

I love reading your blogs, Betsy! They are so informative, and I love your bit of humor you add! It is beautiful here in T. now – dogwoods and azaleas blooming, and it is all most like summer. Keep up the good work.

5. Aubri Casey

August 22, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Our stove is outside on our balcony too! Only in the summertime. We bring it in in the winter to keep the house warm. But all other parts of the kitchen are inside so snacking remains an issue in our house. We also visit families separately men and women but it isn’t uncommon to speak to the opposite sex. And here they use an expletive when you have a cutie baby. It is so vile, I cannot possibly repeat it, but it basically means, “you are so cute, I can’t stand it.” It is NOT endearing. I pray Lejla never finds out what it means! The women here aren’t into the shoes as much as the whole outfit. Their heads are covered as well as their rears but everything else is high style. It is a very interesting mix of European and Mus fashion. And Kat once had an older woman on the tram in the capital whip out her boob when Kaylee was crying to offer as a pacifier. She was also not lactating as she was probably 50. Ah, life overseas!

You’ve inspired me to start blogging, girl. I love reading about your life in a war zone. That in no way means I will actually ever do it, by the way :). Keep writing!

P.S. I hope our girls meet someday. Oh my, would they have some stories to exchange!